Now that the gift giving is over, the turkey has been demolished and the Christmas jumper has been retired for another year (rejoice!) it’s time to reflect on 2017 before we welcome 2018. To do so I thought I would share with you 17 lessons I learned in 2017.
For me 2017 will always hold a special place in my heart and it will be a year that is hard to beat. I am very lucky that I am able to say that as for some it may be a year they would rather forget, one that changed everything. To them I would like to say that I hope your 2018 brings a lot of happiness and health.
Throughout the year I have learned and discovered a lot about myself and have formed some new outlooks in life. So without further ado, here they are;
1. If you can’t stop thinking about it do it! Be it travelling, a sky dive, asking that boy or girl out or applying to be the next Louth Rose. I nearly didn’t apply this year, and it was my last chance, so I did, just to see. Little did I know I’d be on stage, live on RTE 1 alongside Dáithí Ó Sé in that coming August. Do it you’ll be glad you did.
2. Forget what people think. You can’t change someone’s perception of you, not everyone is going to like you and worrying about it doesn’t change that.
3. Work isn’t the be all. There is a lot of focus on careers, job titles and degrees in society as a mark of success and wealth. What’s the point if you aren’t happy and have no time to enjoy yourself? Make time for those you love, they’re all that really matter.
4. Certain diets will come in and out of fashion, pizza and Chinese food are always on trend. In moderation though.
5. Change may be scary, but it’s worth it. Be it small, be it big, change can be terrifying, the unknown is terrifying, however it can reap some of the best rewards.
6. Avoid negativity energy. I swear by this! Be with people who build you up, drive you and support you.
7. Organisation breeds productivity. Keep a schedule, write out to do lists, prep those meals and organise your home. It frees up time and you will get more done. Trust me.
8. Stop doubting yourself. I am guilty of constantly doubting myself, my abilities. If I have learned anything this year, it is that I am capable of so much more than I give myself credit for. We all are. Believe in yourself.
9. Talk! I have anxiety. I write about it in blog posts or talk on my snapchat and with my other half. It is the best thing you can do. Find someone who will listen and just talk. We are not perfect, we are all a little broken, talking helps us mend.
10. Drama is for the Soaps. Keep the drama in your life on the Corrie cobbles. Life literally is too short.
11. Make time for yourself. If you don’t put yourself first, no one else will. Once a week, have a pamper or treat night, just for you.
12. Two bottles of wine are too much, switch after the first bottle. Your hungover self will thank me.
13. Dreams are never out of reach, they may just take some work.
14. Know your worth, then over charge.
15. Don’t be so serious. If I can joke about going bald and having panic attacks then why can’t you. Mess, joke and be playful.
16. Be unapologetically you. Once you are a kind human with manners, never hide who you are. People can like it or lump it, it’s their problem really.
17. Embrace your flaws, cheesy I know (I suppose they all are), but take it from someone who struggled for years with insecurities, the moment you embrace them they stop haunting and controlling you.
I hope you all enjoy ringing in the New Year and that 2018 brings you happiness, new opportunities, new adventures and lots of laughter and love.